Questions about VW's RNS MFD2 DVD navigation system

Alles met betrekking tot
Audi, Seat, Skoda & Volkswagen navigatie
w2vc

Questions about VW's RNS MFD2 DVD navigation system

Bericht door w2vc »

Hello!

First of all sorry about the language but I am from Greece and I dont speak German or Dutch.

I have a lot of questions about RNS MFD2 DVD and after a lot of search I concluded that this forum is the only way to understand some things about my system (and specially mr. Gerritje could help me) :D

I bought a new VW EOS (model 2007) with the RNS MFD DVD navigation system. The navigation system must be version C because has silver buttons. You can see the system here: http://www.navigations-shop.com/egaleria2.php?id=33 (its the c version).

So my questions are:

1) The VW reseller gave me the DVD "VW DVD Navigation Europe (V3)". This is the DVD with the TeleAtlas maps (I think that is the same DVD as the Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX DVD). I am very dissatisfied from these maps. I only need the maps for Greece and they are very deficient.

So I was thinking to buy a new DVD! VW reseller sale the V4 of the "VW DVD Navigation Europe". I searched also at the navshop.com and I found out that the most updated navigation DVD is the "Europe 2007 - Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX-DVD". You can see this map here: http://www.navshop.com/en/product/europ ... 6089/103/1

DOES ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN V3 AND V4 OF THE VW DVD EUROPE? IS THE "EUROPE 2007 TRAVELPILOT EX-DVD" MORE DETAILED THAN THE VW DVDs? IF THE BEST MAP (I mean more detailed) IS THE "EUROPE 2007 TRAVELPILOT EX-DVD", WILL THE DVD WORK WITH MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM? OR I HAVE TO USE ONLY THE VW DVDs?

Searching the navshop.com I found also the map "Greece + Major Roads of Europe 2007 - Blaupunkt TravelPilot E". This is a CD. It is less expensive by the Europe 2007 DVD and it includes the maps that i REALLY want ( I am interest only for the map of Greece). WILL THIS CD OPERATE WITH MY SYSTEM?

2) My second question is about playing MP3 in the car. I know that there is a USB cable, for connecting to the navi system a usb stick. IF I BUY THIS CABLE, WILL BE CAPABLE TO OPERATE THE MP3s ON THE USB STICK FROM THE NAVI SYSTEM? My usb stick is just a portable drive, IT ISNT A MP3 PLAYER! So if I can with this cable to play MP3s from my usb stick, this means that the RNS MFD2 DVD CAN PLAY MP3s FILES. So WHY I CANT PLAY MP3 FILES FROM A CD? IS THERE ANY TRICK OR DEVICE TO UNLOCK THE CAPABILITY TO PLAY MP3 FROM THE CD?

Sorry for the big post. I hope someone to help me!

THANK YOU!!!!

P.S. I dont know if it would be better to set the first question at the TeleAtlas section! If it would, just tell me to set this question there too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

Bericht door Gerritje - In Memoriam † »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I wil try to explain the situation.
The recently released V4 version of the Europe DVD has obviously a more precise and extensive coverage of the European road network. The only difference with the original Blaupunkt DVD is that it also includes all the VAG, SEAT and SKODA dealerships in Europe.
Although Greece is an ancient country it is still not fully covered with the release of latest DVD update. It may take several more years to complete.
The only other reasonable coverage of some of the major city areas in Greece is in the Blaupunkt CD for the E-platform, which is in fact a slightly improved version of the one that was published during the 2004 Olympics.
Sadly it will not function in your DVD system. It is designed to be used in monochrome systems and could not display maps since is does not contain the data for it.

You can use any USB stick in the USB connection that VW provides. The limitation is the number of songs per folder which is limited to 99 in the CD1-5 directories. CD6 may contain an infinite number of songs.
Songs can only be selected by CD number and track number as if it were a CD Changer. The songs in CD6 will always be played randomly.
And NO, ID3 tags cannot be displayed, not even after a possible software-update.
Vragen & antwoorden mbt navigatie svp via het forum, niet per Privé-Bericht of E-Mail
-- Mededeling: Gerritje is op 23-03-2012 te Oosterhout overleden --

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
w2vc

Bericht door w2vc »

OUAOUUUUUUU :shock: :shock: :shock:

What a quick response!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH Gerritje!!!! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE

OK you have helped me A LOT!!!!!

But I have some questions more for you...

1) The V4 of the VW's DVD is the "Europe 2007 - Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX-DVD". Which year's is the Version 3? 2006 or older? I ask because in Athens there are a lot of changes in the roads since 2005!

2) I am thinking to buy from ebay the "Europe 2007 - Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX-DVD"! Is there any possibility this DVD not working with my device (I dont know maybe the navi is locked to play only the vw's dvds)? Or it will be working fine and I shouldn't worry about it?

3) And about mp3. You said that ID3 tags cannot be displayed. So the only information that it is dipslayed is the number of the CD file and the number of the song inside the file? But if I have 90 songs in the file CD1, how would I know what is the track that I want to listen? Will I have to remember the number of ALL MY TRACKS???? :shock: :shock: :shock: IT IS NOT A AT ALL PRACTICAL!!!

4) And do you have any idea about the fact that the navi can play mp3 from a usb stick BUT it can't play mp3 from a cd???

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Bessie

Bericht door Bessie »

w2vc schreef:OUAOUUUUUUU :shock: :shock: :shock:

What a quick response!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH Gerritje!!!! YOU ARE INCREDIBLE

OK you have helped me A LOT!!!!! (..)
I guess the Nobel price and ‚het lintje’ are no longer aimed at 'fransnacht'!
It seems, Gerritje takes it all. Congratulations Gerritje :D !
[size=75]RNS 510 in VW Passat Variant R36[/size]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

• As far as I know the V4 is the Volkswagen 2007 edition. However neither TeleAtlas nor Blaupunkt are prepared to mention the exact coverage of Greater Athens or Greece. One would expect an increase since 2006, but nothing is sure.
  • I would never ever consider to buy a new edition DVD or CD at Ebay. Chances are that you get a bootleg looking as an original copy that costs little and does not work. Polish versions are famous.
  • It was not my idea to market a navigation system that is old fashioned, slow and utterly useless. Blame Volkswagen please. However with a normal audio CD in the CD Changer you also see only track and CD numbers.
  • MP3 can only be played from the USB connection. Why? See above!
Vragen & antwoorden mbt navigatie svp via het forum, niet per Privé-Bericht of E-Mail

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
w2vc

Bericht door w2vc »

Gerritje THANK YOU again for the response.

In fact at the first question I was asking if you now which year's is the V3 of the VW DVD! I think that the answer is 2006, but I am not sure.

Thank you for the information about ebay! I will not try it!!!! But maybe I will buy from navshop.com the "Europe 2007 - Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX-DVD". This DVD should play in my system. Right?

As for MP3s... what I am saying is that as the navi plays the mp3 files from the usb, why it can't play them from the cd? If it plays them from the usb, that means that this system can read and decode the mp3 files. So why couldn't play them from the cd. The files are the same. It is only change the source where they are. I cannot understand why VW have locked this feature while the system CAN PLAY mp3s. Is there any hardware to unlock the system so to play mp3 from cd?

Thanks again for the help! :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

Sorry, but the system cannot read and decode the MP3 file.
The USB-extension is in fact an MP3-player that decodes the MP3 files and converts them to an analog signal that is fed into the CD changer connection.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Remko
Starting Member
Starting Member

Bericht door Remko »

For MP3 I can recommend the Phatbox instead of USB or other solution. It's like a CD changer but then it contains a harddisk. I bought one at ebay for €160,- Cool thing is that it talks to you (reads you the playlist etc.).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

It is so impopular view of the many problems and incompatibilities with a number of systems that they are almost for free on Ebay and other sites.
On MFD an soome of the MFD2 systems they will not function properly.
In case you consider buying one, hands off. Dension has much better products

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
ozkanb

Bericht door ozkanb »

hello, i have also RNS MFD (1) in my touran, my question is, what can you do with the AUX thing??
because i don't know too much about it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
Gerritje - In Memoriam †

Touran was never fitted with a MFD(1). It is either MFD2 CD or MFD2 DVD
www.dension.com
www.connects2.com

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
  • Vergelijkbare Onderwerpen
    Statistieken
    Laatste bericht
  • VDO / Mark III navigation system retrofit kit - change language problem
    door glm2006ITALY » 07 okt 2017 22:25 » in Vaste VDO-Dayton systemen
    Reacties: 0